Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Trip to Bernal (i.e. big rock!)

Hey all! How are you? I hope things are going well for you wherever you may be. I thought I'd let you check out a few photos of my trip to Bernal last Friday. Bernal is about one hour from the city of Queretaro, though there was lots of traffic so it took quite a while to get there. It's a little puebla but the main event is the big rock there. It's supposed to be the third-biggest monolith in the world after the Rock of Gibraltar and some other rock I hadn't heard of. I'm not sure, but I think they may have overlooked Uluru? Does anyone know if that's like a monolith (i.e. one big rock) or not?
Anyway, I went to Bernal with some of my Mexican friends that I met last time I was here in Queretaro - Pablo, Aixa and Alma - and with some of their friends too - Felipe and Martin. We had a lot of fun/exhaustion climbing up the side of the rock. The date that we went - 21 of March - is primavera or the first day of Spring and there were LOTS of people. Some people believe that on this day (or actually it's the equinox that counts apparently) if you go up the rock, wear white and perform some type of ceremony that you receive good energy. Well, I didn't believe it in the first place, and I didn't wear white, but I think I proved it pretty much false by how tired I was after climbing the rock and coming back down - a lack of energy!


Here is most of the crew near the top of the rock - Aixa, me, Martin, Alma and Felipe... Pablo is behind the camera.
Afterwards we went and had a BBQ back at Felipe and Martin's house - it was almost Australian!!... well, apart from the tortillas, the location... ok well, it was a bbq!
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, there are lots of exciting things happening here at present both in the city, in our work with the church and our focus on uni students.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, just back from a two week trip to Uluru. It is pretty big!
Thought I'd google worlds biggest monolith and I got about a thousand different answers.
Anyway, hope all is well and the sun cntinues to shine (unless you want rain of course).