Monday, March 17, 2008

Mi vida en Mexico (My life in Mexico)

El Centro in Queretaro - beautiful!

Wow! How time flies! I’ve been here in Mexico for only a week and a half, but so much has been happening that it feels like weeks! In the last week and a bit I’ve been to church twice, worked in the café twice, been to two uni student events, done a week of language study, met lots and lots of people and settled into my new home with a new family! Phew!


The family that I’m living with here in Queretaro is great! Jolanda, the mum in my Mexican family, is really nice and she’s also a great cook. We enjoy watching telenovelas together in the evening (telenovelas are HUGE here and have a big following – they are kind of like soaps, but not quite so slow moving and hideous) – her favourite is “Tontas no van a cielo” which roughly translates to “Stupid women who aren’t going to heaven” hahaha. There are two sons in my Mexican family – Ruben and Luis. Ruben lives here and studies business at the Uni of Queretaro and Luis studies in Monterrey so he’s just back for the uni break at present. Both guys are really into music. Ruben plays the bass guitar and Luis sings and plays keys. We’ve had a good time sharing our music tastes and good bands.

Hector, Charlio and me


I’ve already had some great opportunities to build relationships with young people in the café and through our uni student activities. Here are some photos of us hanging out at the café and the last photos is us at the market after having tacos!

I love this city, it’s sights, sounds and heritage. I went on a bit of a tourist cruise with Rebecca (another team member), her sister Pam (who is here for her uni break on holiday) and Maricela (one of the young people who have come to know Jesus through the ministry at the café) to some of the sights on Saturday. I managed to get a photo of me with “Los Arcos” or “the Arches”. They are the arches of an aqueduct that used to provide water to the city.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy the photos and the update and I look forward to sharing the journey with you as God continues to open doors and provide opportunities to share His love and His message with people in Queretaro.
Hasta luego,
Phil

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JP and Jessica said...

Heyyyyyyy!! I miss Queretaro even MORE after reading your blog!! But I enjoy my time here in Honduras too!! That's so cool that you're living with Yola and the boys (haha, "Luis" Yola is the only one who calls him that, everyone calls him Alex)! Me and JP go to eat comida with them every now and then! I hope all is well! See you all soon!

Anonymous said...

Did ypu witness the protest or march in downtown Queretaro last saturday 15?

cd said...

Heh, 'Tontas no van a cielo' - can we swap soaps? They can have any of ours, I want theirs :P

Good to hear things are going well. Praying, as always, for wisdom and courage. Chin up pal, God's working His plans out. I wonder how different they are from yours? :)